Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Drunk Tank Pink by Adam Alter

Currently, in my book club  I mean senior seminar class we are reading  Drunk Tank Pink  by Adam Alter.  I'm not sure what it is about entirely but the first chapter was about our names and how they affect our personality, how we treat and categorize people based on their names, and how others treat us based on our names.  Alter writes about how names can influence our careers choices and can affect what people think about us based on just our names.

Anyways, my professor asked everyone how we think our names have affected what we think about ourselves, what others think about us, and how we live our lives.  It started my thinking and researching.  I found that Abigail means give's joy or father's joy.  Now, I've never considered this before but I tend to try to make people happy and not in the sense that I'm a people pleaser but I love to make people laugh.  I love to do things that make people happy, such as random acts of kindness or even just helping them asking nothing in return.  So, do I enjoy(haha) making people happy because my name means give's joy? Then, I started thinking about the column Dear Abby, you know where people write in and ask for advice.  Do I give so much advice because my name is Abbie and the advice columnists name was Abbie? I don't know.  But, it's something to consider.


No comments:

Post a Comment